The holidays are here. And despite the previous year (aka 2020) we’ve all experienced; many are gearing up to welcome time with family, friends and some good cheer!
While most are looking to spend and swipe their plastic cards; others sadly are still experiencing a financial pinch due to lost jobs, wages, or family crises during and post pandemic.
As the final quarter of the year soon come to a close, it is the best time to Reassess, reset, and recharge for the coming year.
As eager consumers flood the market, even more eager hackers flood the cyber market to potentially hack and/or acquire your personal information and data.
This is the genesis of prime time fishing for hackers; and their targets? Those who have opted to put their faith and trust in their personal devices.
So tis the season to be cautious!
According to one of the most recent articles on cyber news, here are a few things you can do to maintain your cyber hygiene.
1. Update all of your passwords and ensure that they are NOT easy to guess. Stay away from the typical numeric or alphabetical patterns that can easily “cracked” by the average hacker.
2. Implement two-factor authentication. However, note that many hackers are able to access sim-based 2FA. Ensure that your 2FA helps secure your accounts across the board.
3. Use multiple passwords that vary across accounts. Chances are you won’t be able to out smart a potential or official hacker. Using multiple passwords means “you might have gained access to one but you won’t gain access to all”.
4. Take an inventory of the accounts you current have in “rolodex”. Do I need this account? What do I use this account for? Do I currently have an account that does the same exact thing if not close to what this account does?
5. Remember that free WiFi ain’t free! Before you connect to an open unsecured network ask yourself is it really worth it?
We know this time of year calls for going inward and easing up a bit. We simply want to remind you that you have come far in this cyber game. Now is not the time to let your cyber guards down.
Need some support with your cyber hygiene? Not sure where to begin? Need some insight on next steps? We have some experts who can help you in real time create a real game plan.
At Nine Mile we believe prevention is the best protection. We can help and have the tools and know how to support you.